CofC Logo

Names of Buildings and Campus Landmarks

Following is a list of the formal and informal names of campus buildings and landmarks. Named rooms, wings and centers within these buildings are also listed under their respective buildings. Note that not all buildings are officially named and, therefore, not all buildings are listed here.

As a rule, capitalize campus buildings that have a formal, given name. All major words in the name should be capitalized, including the words Building or Center. Lowercase should be used for buildings with generic names that reflect the discipline taught or the activity conducted therein. An exception to this rule is the descriptive naming of buildings/places that carry such tradition that they have assumed the status of a formal, given name (e.g., the Cistern, the President’s House).

Use lowercase for rooms and facilities within buildings (e.g., room 118 in the Education Center, Maybank Hall conference room). Exceptions: Capitalize rooms and facilities within buildings that have a formal, given name (e.g., Alumni Memorial Hall in Randolph Hall).

In general, use the formal (complete and capitalized) name on first reference. Subsequent references may be shortened and in lowercase if the meaning is clear.

58 George Courtyard
Outdoor common area located directly east of the John M. Rivers Communications Museum.

Abiel Bolles House
Located at 7 College Way, it houses faculty offices.

Addlestone Library
The formal name is the Marlene and Nathan Addlestone Library; Addlestone Library may be used on the first reference. Located at 205 Calhoun Street.

  •     Henry Brown Wing
  •     S. Odell Hawkins Café  

Aiken House
The formal name is the Governor William Aiken House; Aiken House may be used on the second reference. Located at 10 Green Way, it houses the Honors College. Also referred to as the Honors Center.

AT&T Building
See BellSouth Building.

Avery Research Center
The formal name is the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture; Avery Research Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 125 Bull Street.

  • Avery Room
  • Cox Gallery: The formal name is the Benjamin F. and Jeannette K. Cox Exhibition Gallery; Cox Gallery may be used on the second reference.
  • McKinley Washington Auditorium

Beatty Center
The formal name is the Beatty Center for the School of Business; Beatty Center is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 5 Liberty Street.

  • Wells Fargo Auditorium

BellSouth Building
Located at 81 St. Philip Street, it houses classrooms and faculty and administrative offices.

  • Lowcountry Hall of Science and Math

Berry Hall
The formal name is the Joe E. Berry Jr. Residence Hall; Berry Hall is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 80 St. Philip Street.

Blacklock House
The formal name is the William Blacklock House; Blacklock House is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 18 Bull Street, it houses administrative offices.

bookstore
The formal name is the College of Charleston Bookstore; the bookstore may be used on the second reference. Located at 160 Calhoun Street.

Buist Rivers Residence Hall
Residence hall located at 13 College Way. It also includes Honors College administrative offices.

  • Hawkins Living-Learning Center

Calhoun Annex
Located at 172 Calhoun Street, it houses student media organizations.

  • Chapel Theatre

Cameron House
The formal name is the Hugh P. Cameron House; Cameron House may be used on the second reference. Located at 12 Bull Street, it houses faculty offices.

  • Caroline and Albert Simons, Jr. Center for Historic Preservation

Casa Hispánica
Residence hall for Spanish speakers, located at 8 Bull Street.

Cistern, the
The concrete oval in front of Randolph Hall. The grassy area between Randolph Hall and Porters Lodge should be referred to as the Cistern Yard.

College Lodge
Residence hall located at 157 Calhoun Street.

College Way
The brick walkway located east of and parallel to Coming Street. It runs from George Street to Calhoun Street.

Cougar Mall
The outdoor common area located between Maybank Hall and the Robert Scott Small Building. It was formerly called Maybank Mall/Cougar Plaza.

Craig Residence Hall and Craig Union
The formal names are S. Douglas Craig Residence Hall and S. Douglas Craig Union; Craig Hall and Craig Union are acceptable on the first reference. Located at 33 St. Philip Street, they are named for S. Douglas Craig, Class of 1905.

Dixie Plantation
College property located on the Stono River.

Early Childhood Development Center
The formal name is Nathan E. Miles Early Childhood Development Center; Early Childhood Development Center is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 91 Wentworth Street. Also referred to on campus as ECDC, which may be used on second reference.

Education Center
The formal name is the Thaddeus Street Jr. Education Center; Education Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 25 St. Philip Street, it houses classrooms and faculty and administrative offices. It is named for Thaddeus Street Jr., Class of 1935.

  • Jon Morter Laboratory of Anthropology
  • Michael Pincus Language Resource Center
  • Septima Clark Memorial Auditorium   
  • Volpe Center (second floor): The formal name is the Charles and Andrea Volpe Center for Teaching and Learning; Volpe Center may be used on the second reference.

Edward Leon Guenveur House
Located at 57 Coming Street, it houses faculty offices.

  • Lauretta Goodall-Guenveur Garden

Erckmann House
Located at 9 College Way, it houses faculty offices. From 1948 to 1971, John Zeigler Jr. and Edwin Peacock operated the Book Basement on the ground floor of this building.

Faculty House, the
The formal name is the Thompson-Muller House; the Faculty House is also acceptable. Located at 20 Glebe Street.

French House
Residence hall for French speakers. Located at 6 Bull Street.

Fresh Food Company
Located at 8 Liberty Street.

George Street Apartments
Residence hall for upperclassmen, located at 55 George Street.

George Street Parking Garage
Located on St. Philip Street between George Street and Liberty Street.

Glebe Courtyard
Located between 6 and 12 Glebe Street.

Glenn McConnell Residence Hall
Located at 101 Wentworth Street, it is named for Glenn McConnell, Class of 1969.

Greek houses
The following houses are home to Greek organizations: 3 Coming Street (also known as the Scott House); 28, 32, 34, 35 and 43 Coming Street; 36 Coming Street (also known as the Graves House); 97, 99, 101, 103 and 105 Wentworth Street; and 107 Wentworth Street (also known as the William Johnson House).

greenhouse
Located at 18-A Bull Street, between the Blacklock House and the Addlestone Library.

Green Way
The brick walkway running between St. Philip and Coming Streets. It was originally called Green Street (before it was closed in by the College).

Grice Marine Lab
Located at 205 Fort Johnson Road on James Island, it is named for George Grice, president of the College from 1945 to 1966.

  • Marine Resources Library (building 8)

Higdon Student Leadership Center
The formal name is the Ann and Lee Higdon Student Leadership Center; Higdon Student Leadership Center may be used on the second reference. It is named for Lee and Ann Higdon, president and first lady of the College from 2001 to 2006. Located at 69 Coming Street in the Farr House.

Honors College
Located at 10 Green Way in the Aiken House.

J.C. Long Building
Located at 9 Liberty Street, it houses classrooms and faculty offices.

Jewish Studies Center
The formal name is the Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center; Jewish Studies Center is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 96 Wentworth Street, it houses the Yaschik/Arnold Jewish Studies Program.

  • Arnold Hall: The formal name is Norman and Gerry Arnold Hall; Arnold Hall may be used on the second reference.
  • Karesh Lobby: The formal name is the Stanley and Charlot Karesh Lobby; Karesh Lobby may be used on the second reference.
  • Levin Library: The formal name is the Rabbi Hirsch Levin Judaica Library; Levin Library may be used on the second reference.

John Kresse Court
Located in the TD Arena.

John M. Rivers Communications Museum
Located at 58 George Street in the Barnard Elliott House, the museum is named for John M. Rivers Sr., Class of 1924.

Johnson Center
The formal name is the F. Mitchell Johnson Physical Education Center; Johnson Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 30 George Street, it is named for F. Mitchell “Cussie” Johnson, Class of 1937.

Jonas Beard House
Located at 112–114 Wentworth Street, it houses faculty offices.

Kelly House
Residence hall located at 106 St. Philip Street.

Kennedy House
Located at 26 Glebe Street, it houses faculty offices.

Knox-Lesesne House
Historic residence house located at 14 Green Way.

Liberty Street Residence Hall
Located at 8 Liberty Street.

Lightsey Center
The formal name is the Harry M. Lightsey Center; Lightsey Center may be used on first reference. Located at 160 Calhoun Street, it is named for Harry Lightsey Jr., president of the College from 1985 to 1991.

Lightsey Center Annex
Located at 160-A Calhoun Street, it houses the Office of New Student Programs.

Lucas House
Historic residence house located at 24 Bull Street.

The Marion and Wayland H. Cato Jr. Center for the Arts
Located at 161 Calhoun Street.

  • Halsey Institute: The formal name is Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art; Halsey Institute may be used on the second reference. Located on the first floor of The Marion and Wayland H. Cato Jr. Center for the Arts, the Halsey Institute’s staff curate and organize exhibitions of contemporary art.

Martindale-Bell House
Located at 2 Green Way, it houses the office of the dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Maybank Hall
The formal name is Burnet Rhett Maybank Hall; Maybank Hall is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 169 Calhoun Street, it is named for Burnet Rhett Maybank, Class of 1919.

McAlister Hall
The formal name is Marcia Kelly McAlister Residence Hall; McAlister Hall is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 80-B St. Philip Street.

The Multicultural Center
Located at 207 Calhoun Street.

North Campus
Located at 5300 International Boulevard.

  • Lowcountry Graduate Center

Patriots Point Athletics Complex
Located in Mt. Pleasant. Home to the baseball, softball, soccer and tennis programs.

Physicians Memorial Auditorium
Located at 3 College Way.

Physicians Promenade
The brick area outside of Physicians Memorial Auditorium, 3 College Way.

Pi Kappa Phi Bell Tower
Located between 65 and 69 Coming Street.

Porters Lodge

President’s Garden
Garden located on the east side of Randolph Hall. It is dedicated to Kathleen K. Lightsey.

President’s House
Located at 6 Glebe Street.

Randolph Hall
The formal name is Harrison Randolph Hall; Randolph Hall is acceptable on the first reference. It is named for Harrison Randolph, president of the College from 1897 to 1945.

  • Alumni Memorial Hall (second floor): Alumni Hall is acceptable on the first reference.
  • Classics Museum (third floor)
  • Graduate Studies Office (third floor)

Riley Center
The formal name is the Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Center for Livable Communities; the Riley Center may be used on the second reference.

Rivers Green
Outdoor area directly behind Addlestone Library.

Rivers House
The formal name is the William James Rivers House; Rivers House is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 40 Coming Street, it houses administrative offices.

Robert Scott Small Building
Located at 175 Calhoun Street, it houses classrooms and faculty and administrative offices. It is named for Robert Scott Small, Class of 1936.

  • Admissions Information Center
  • John Henry Dick Wing
  • Robert Scott Small Room
  • Wendell Mitchell Levi Wing

Rutledge Rivers Residence Hall
Located at 15 College Way, it is named for Rutledge Rivers, Class of 1890.

School of Education, Health, and Human Performance Building
The yellow building at 86 Wentworth Street.

  • Alumni Center: The formal name is the School of Education, Health, and Human Performance Alumni Center; the Alumni Center may be used on the second reference.
  • Gangi Courtyard
  • Jeremy Center: The formal name is Jeremy Warren Vann Teacher Education Center; Jeremy Center may be used on the second reference. It is named for Jeremy Warren Vann, Class of 1997. This is the white, “L”-shaped wing of the facility at 86 Wentworth Street.
  • Monica A. Janas Conference Room

School of Sciences and Mathematics Building
Located at 202 Calhoun Street.

  • Lowcountry Hazards Center
  • Natural History Museum
  • Santee Cooper Geographic Information Systems Laboratory
  • South Carolina Space Grant Offices

Science Center
The formal name is the Rita Liddy Hollings Science Center; Science Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 58 Coming Street, it is named for Rita Liddy Hollings, Class of 1957.

  • Jennings Biochemistry Lab: The formal name is Earle Jennings Biochemistry Laboratory; Jennings Biochemistry Lab may be used on the second reference.
  • Physicians Memorial Auditorium

Silcox Center
The formal name is the Willard A. Silcox Physical Education and Health Center; Silcox Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 24 George Street, it is named for Willard A. Silcox, Class of 1933.

  • Richard N. Godsen Exercise Physiology Lab    

Simons Center
The formal name is Albert Simons Center for the Arts; Simons Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 54 St. Philip Street.

  • Recital Hall
  • Robinson Theatre: The formal name is Emmett Robinson Theatre; Robinson Theatre may be used on the second reference.
  • Theatre 220

Sottile House
The formal name is the Wilson-Sottile House; Sottile House is acceptable on the first reference. Located at 11 College Way, it houses administrative offices.

Sottile Theatre
The formal name is the College of Charleston Sottile Theatre; Sottile Theatre may be used on the second reference. Special events venue located at 44 George Street.

St. Philip Courtyard
The brick courtyard in front of the Simons Center.

St. Philip Street Parking Garage
Located between Calhoun Street and Vanderhorst Street.

Stern Student Center
The formal name is the Theodore S. Stern Student Center; Stern Student Center may be used on the second reference. Located at 71 George Street, it is named for Ted Stern, president of the College from 1968 to 1979. The building houses the Division of Student Affairs, the Office of Student Life, the Student Government Association, and many student organizations.

  • Stern Center Ballroom
  • Stern Center Food Court
  • Stern Center Garden
  • Stern Center Pool
  • Fitness Center

Tate Center
Formerly called the Tate Center for Entrepreneurship. Located at 5 Liberty Street, it is named for Jack Tate.

TD Arena
Located at 301 Meeting Street.

  • John Kresse Court

Towell Library
The formal name is Edward Emerson Towell Library; Towell Library is acceptable for the first reference. It is named for Edward Towell, Class of 1934. Pronounced like Toll.

Wagener House
Located at 6 Green Way, the building is currently under renovation. Beginning January 2014, the house will be occupied by the offices of Nationally Competitive Awards and Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities.

Walker Sailing Complex
The formal name is the J. Stewart Walker Sailing Complex, named in honor of J. Stewart Walker, Class of 1978.  Walker Sailing Complex may be used on the second reference. Located at Patriots Point Marina, it is home to the Hissar Sailing Program.

Warren Place
Residence hall located at 1, 10 and 20 Warren Street.

Wentworth Street Parking Garage
Located between King Street and St. Philip Street.